Our aim is that all children:
- know and understand the history of Britain, how people’s lives have shaped it and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world;
- know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world;
- understand historical concepts, such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance;
- understand the methods of historical enquiry and decide on the validity of a range of sources;
- gain historical perspective by looking at historical events from a variety of points of view.
At Balgowan, we aim to provide a quality and, most importantly, enthralling history education that will help children gain knowledge and understanding of both Britain’s past and that of the wider world. We believe that children should be inspired to learn from the events of the past. Our history curriculum gives children the opportunity to question the mistakes that have come before them, as well as reflecting on the numerous successes, allowing them to think critically and develop their own opinions and judgements.
History gives pupils an insight into people’s lives, changes in society and relationships between people, which should not only capture their imagination, but will also help form them into well-rounded people with a breadth of interests.
Crucially, history should be fun and engaging by allowing children to experience elements of the topics they study through practical lessons, history-themed days, school trips and independent research.