Our aim is that all children:
- have a contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places – terrestrial and marine – and their related geographical characteristics and processes;
- can understand the Earth’s key physical and human processes;
- can collect, analyse and communicate data gathered from fieldwork;
- are able to interpret geographical sources, such as maps, diagrams, globes, photographs and Geographical Information Systems (GIS);
- can effectively communicate through images, maps, data and written formats.
At Balgowan, we believe that all children should be inspired to have a real sense of curiosity and fascination to find out about the world around them and the people within it. Our geography curriculum equips the children with knowledge and understanding about diverse places, people, resources and environments.
Geography at Balgowan is taught through discrete lessons. We widen and enrich the geography curriculum with overseas school partnerships (MFL link) and educational fieldwork opportunities both locally and further afield.