Design & TechnologyBack
Our aim is that all children:
- draw upon their innate creativity and imagination to design and make products that solve real and relevant problems within a variety of contexts;
- consider their own and others’ needs, wants and values in terms of design and manufacture;
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users;
- acquire a broad range of subject knowledge and draw on disciplines such as mathematics, science, engineering, computing and art;
- develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world;
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
At Balgowan, we recognise how important design and technology (DT) is in helping children learn how to take risks, becoming resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. We want children to understand how DT makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of our nation.
We provide an excellent, high-quality design education that explores skills in research, design, making, evaluating, and developing technical knowledge and skills. In addition, cooking and nutrition (food technology) forms part of our curriculum. Our lessons aim to be inspiring, rigorous and practical, with children getting real, hands-on experience in areas such as woodwork and cutting tools, or 3D design in a variety of materials.